Switch shoes to the right feet👟👟

Oscar nominee Rafique Bhatia shares the nuances of musical success. 

" I think there's a lot of pressure for young people to perform at a certain level to be good at something right out the gate, to get good grades, to show excellence, you know. And if there could be more emphasis placed on learning and loving to learn and loving to fall on your face, and not being good at something out of the gate but putting in the work and the time because you love it, those qualities in the long term, go way further than the grade."

Musical trio Son Lux — comprising Rafiq Bhatia, Ian Chang, and founder Ryan Lott — have received Academy Award nominations for best original score and best song for the film Everything Everywhere All at Once.

"When I was about 18 years old, my dad and I went to the Village Vanguard for the first time, and I was so excited to be there and to get to hear music played in that room. And my favourite living guitarist, Bill Frisell, was playing guitar that night. And it's a small place, so after they finished playing, the musicians walked out through the audience. And I observed myself stopping Bill, and I said, “I'm so sorry to stop you like this. But that was just the most incredible thing. Do you have any advice for a young musician who's just starting out?” And he looked around the room and leaned in, like, he was going to tell me this big secret. And he said, “Just lock yourself in a room, man, and just play, just play for hours.” And then he smiled at me real big and walked away. And it seems so simple, but that was one of the best pieces of advice that anyone ever gave me. Because when you're young, there are so many people who give you the impression that you can get the answer somewhere, you can read it in a book, or you can pay to go to a school, or you can buy equipment. But it doesn't replace the personal relationship that you can cultivate with the work of making art. And ultimately, it's from that personal relationship, that all of the things that might be distinctive, or unique, or that might imbue your music with something recognizable, that only you could produce, comes about." Says Rafique Bhatia


Here is what I think.

After reading Rafique Bhatia's answers I realized how far I am from my journey. It is just the beginning of my career, and this blogging activity is one of my interests. Many times, I decided not to continue blogging because there was a self-doubt that I could not make it through, or that I was not good at it. But the thing is, I must show some guts and never hesitate to fall on my face because this is how I will improve. And not being good at something doesn't mean you stop working on it. There is no short-term reward for it but at least I am in love with the process of finding good stuff and posting them.


The good thing is I have switched my shoes on the right feet.  Comment and tell me what you think about the above quotes. I will appreciate your involvement.

There is this heavy gravity of falling on the ground, but the hustle should not stop until you are in the ground and the flowers are on it.   Babar Nasir 





Comments

  1. You know what, i was thinking the same before reading your blog and i realized that i was walking through a long distance wearing mismatched shoes thats why i got hurt at many points and the journey was full of challenges but now i'll try to find the right pair as soon as possible.coz it damn hurts to wear someones shoes....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope life is going great. It means alot to me❤️

      Delete
  2. Good choice as always❤

    ReplyDelete
  3. liked and agreed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts